We had the wonderful opportunity to meet with Certified Pediatric Therapist Rae Suba, who specializes in Sensory Processing Disorders, Dyspraxia, Genetic, and Autism Spectrum Disorders. She is the Executive Director of Child’s Play Clinic, LLC in Westport, Connecticut. We asked Rae to share with us her top recommended sensory toy choices for children ages 6months and up, and now we’re going to share them with you.
Rae has been specializing in the area of Pediatric Occupational Therapy for over 20 years. She received her Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Occupational Therapy from Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts, where she graduated with high honors. She completed graduate work in clinical psychology at Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut and has also completed a wealth of post graduate advanced training.
Rae has written articles on the topics of child development and sensory integration for Children and Families, The Magazine of the National Head Start Association, and has contributed her professional expertise to articles for Parents Magazine. Her developmental references, “Infant Gross and Fine Motor Development” and “Preschool Gross and Fine Motor Skills,” were also published in Developmental Science, a psychology college textbook written by Harris and Graham. She is currently working to complete her first book and we’re looking forward to it!
Currently, Rae provides comprehensive private therapy services in Connecticut, as well as to clients throughout the United States. She is also privileged to service international clients from China, Japan, England, Puerto Rico, Israel and the Netherlands. Thank you Rae, for taking the time to talk to us about these superior sensory toys.
To learn more about Rae Suba and her services:
- Visit the Child’s Play Clinic website: www.ChildsPlayOT.com
- Email Child’s Play Clinic: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Child’s Play Clinic: 203-226-9961
- “Like” Child’s Play Clinic on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/ChildsPlayClinicLLC
- Follow them on Twitter: @ChildsPlayOT1
1. The Fisher-Price Go Baby Go! Bat and Wobble Penguin is an adorable penguin which stimulates several areas of the baby’s sensory system including vision, auditory, and tactile, while promoting body awareness, the development of play, reach, eye-hand coordination, sitting, and balance. Your baby will enjoy exploring this wobbly guy! Recommended for ages 6-36 months. SRP $20.00 BUY NOW
2. The Edushape See-Me Sensory Balls are appealing to little hands and fingers. These textured balls can be used in a multitude of ways including squeezing, touching, rolling, throwing, and kicking. They offer a tremendous amount of tactile sensory input as well as proprioceptive and visual sensory inputs. They promote dexterity, fine motor skills, grasping, body awareness and eye-hand coordination. Your little one will have a ball with this fun toy! Recommended for ages 6 months and up. SRP $16.99 BUY NOW
3. The Step 2 Up and Down Roller Coaster is an awsome, well thought out, durable coaster ride which can be used indoors or outdoors for endless fun! It actively engages the visual and vestibular systems with each thrilling ride, and promotes body awareness, motor development, balance, and coordination. It’s sure to be a favorite of your growing toddler! Recommended for ages 2-5 years. SRP $99.99 BUY NOW
4. The Gymnic/Rody Inflatable Hopping Horse is fun and inviting! This durable toy provides abundant proprioceptive sensory input, which helps preschoolers develop their core strength, body awareness, balance, and coordination. It also has the option of adding a rocker base, further expanding the play and sensory possibilities! Hop on and have fun! Recommended for ages 3-5 years. SRP $42.95 BUY NOW
5. The Kid Active/Jump Smart Triangular Trampoline is a well-made, space saving trampoline which offers excellent sensory input year round inside or out. It provides vestibular and proprioceptive sensory input, and promotes core strength, body awareness, gross motor development, balance, and coordination. Jump to your heart’s content on this super trampoline. Recommended for ages 3 and up. SRP $129.00 BUY NOW
6. The Plasma Car by PlaSmart is an extremely exciting and rugged outdoor riding toy that kids will enjoy for years to come! This car is powered solely by a child’s body weight, core muscles, and momentum. It provides a wealth of proprioceptive and vestibular sensory inputs which promotes core strength, gross motor development, balance, and coordination. A must-have for outdoor driveway play! Recommended for ages 3 years and up. SRP $69.99 BUY NOW
7. The Deluxe Platform Swing by Hearthsong is a durable swing that has a steel frame and cargo rope design that easily supports the weight of a growing child or friend up to 250 pounds. By design, swings offer a tremendous amount of varied vestibular and proprioceptive inputs making them an excellent addition to any playscape. Swings are a great way to continue promoting the development of gross motor skills and coordination as well as strength in an older child. Recommended for ages 5 years and up. SRP $129.00 BUY NOW8. The Gymnic Hop Ball is a durable and well-made hop ball guaranteed to provide endless enjoyment! It provides both proprioceptive and vestibular sensory inputs which encourage strength, balance, coordination, and motor planning. Hop to new heights with the Gymnic Hop Ball. Recommended for ages 6-8years. SRP $41.00 BUY NOW
9. Yogibo is a remarkable and versatile product offering many uses for all ages! It provides a huge amount of proprioceptive sensory input when snuggling, pushing, pulling, crashing, or jumping into your Yogibo. Proprioceptive sensory input promotes body awareness and also helps to organize the brain for focus and attention. It is an equally inviting spot to play or read a good book. Your Yogibo just may become your and your child’s favorite seat in the house! Recommended for everybody! SRP $199.00 BUY NOW